- 1) Importance of a Good Production Description
How to Write Product Description That Sells
- 2.1) Understand Your Target Audience and Buyer Personas
- 2.2) Focus on the Product Benefits (Not Just Product Features)
- 2.3) Adopt a Storytelling Style
- 2.4) Write Natural Language With Conversational Tone
- 2.5) Include Power Words That Sell
- 2.6) Keep it Simple and Easy to Read
- 2.7) Optimize for Search Engines
- 2.8) Include Good Good Product Visuals
- 2.9) Finalize and Test Your Unique Product Description Template
- 2.10) Include a Call to Action
- 3) AI Writer To Your Rescue!
- 4) How to Write Product Description FAQs
A good product needs a stunning description to attract potential customers and eventually compel them to make a purchase decision. Writing great product descriptions is no easy task and even the most experienced writers struggle with writing good product descriptions at times. So, how to write a product description that compels readers to buy the product? In this blog post, we discuss some best practices to create product descriptions that sell.
Importance of a Good Production Description
Did you know that 87% of potential customers read the product description before making a purchase decision? It means that product descriptions are a deciding factor when it comes to buying something. Thus, you need to create easy-to-read product descriptions with complete product details, product features and bullet points to attract the ideal customers. 
How to Write Product Description That Sells
A product description is more than just a short paragraph that explains your product. It is among the most important interaction points of ideal customers with your offering, so you need to make sure that it effectively targets your buyer personas’ wants, needs and preferences.
Here are some great tips to help you write effective product descriptions for your online store:
Understand Your Target Audience and Buyer Personas
Identify your target audience and consider what your ideal customers will like to see in your product. Instead of defining all product features, you need to focus on highlighting product features that are most beneficial to your target audience. While writing product descriptions for your ideal buyer personas, keep these questions in mind to maintain a good flow:
- How are your potential customers reaching your page?
- What type of interests, likes, and behaviours do they have?
- What will be the most interesting thing in your online store for these visitors?
- How will they explain your product to their friends?
- What product features will be most beneficial to your target audience?
These questions will help you write product descriptions better than generic product copies.
Focus on the Product Benefits (Not Just Product Features)
One of the most common mistakes writers make during product description writing is to place their whole focus on product features. While it is important to convey product features to your audience, it is much more important to highlight product benefits to potential customers.
Consider how the product will solve a problem or how the product or service will improve your customer’s life. Highlight the main selling points in conjunction with their benefits at the start of the product description. You can also adopt the same strategy while writing product bullet points.
Adopt a Storytelling Style
People love to read a good story, especially when it relates to their life. Once you have laid out all product benefits, weave them into an interesting story for your potential customers. Most modern buyers are emotional decision-makers, so you can use emotions in your favour.
Set a scene about product history, traditional importance, how it came into being and how it aspired to improve your potential customer’s life. Portray your product or service offering as the hero of your story.
Write Natural Language With Conversational Tone
Formal language is dry and gets boring in seconds! The 5-second rule applies to getting your potential customer’s attention for your product as well. Once you have a draft of your product description, read it out loud and see how it sounds to others. It shall sound like you are having a conversation with your friends. Avoid using too many complex terms and industry jargon to engage your audience successfully. A natural writing style coupled with a conversational tone will help you in grabbing the attention of your readers and engaging them in your offering.
Include Power Words That Sell
Power words are a game changer when it comes to emotional purchase decision-making. Power words can boost your sales more than you ever imagined. Pull out a list of power words from the internet and incorporate them into your product subtitles, introduction, bullet points and Call to action. Power words not only help in creating a sensation but also subtly convince your audience to take an action and buy your product.
Keep it Simple and Easy to Read
Industry jargon, complex terms, and the use of too many metaphors are practices that easily kill your audience’s attention towards your offering. When writing product descriptions, remember that everything has to be simple yet attention-grabbing for your audience.
Write short sentences and make the most of the white space to spread out your message. Instead of jamming up your description with too much information, break down the description into short paragraphs, sub-headings, subtitles and bullet points.
Optimize for Search Engines
Great product descriptions still need to face throat-cutting competition from other companies. In such cases, SEO is your best bet to beat your competitors. It is recommended that you update your product description with correct keywords and SEO practices to optimize for Search engines. Start by researching keywords and include them in your product description copy in the right places. Make sure that the following elements of your product description are optimized for search engines:
- Page Title
- Meta Description
- Image Alt Tags
- Product Description Copy
Include Good Good Product Visuals
Complement your product description copy with stunning images and attention-grabbing videos. Instead of displaying generic visuals, focus on using images and videos that depict the use of products in different ways.
Finalize and Test Your Unique Product Description Template
There is no one-size-fits-all approach to writing product descriptions using a template. In fact, with time and practice, you will be able to develop your own version of the description template that suits your offering. Test your description by making a few different variations in the content.
Here is a Quick Product Description Template Checklist to help your track your product’s performance:
- Is the description solution-focused?
- Have you included power words?
- Does the content follow a storytelling style?
- Is the content conversational?
- Is your text supported by correct product visuals?
- Have you included a Call to Action?
- Is the content optimized for search engines?
Include a Call to Action
The process of writing product descriptions that sell is finished successfully only when you add a conclusion and a call to action. A non-conventional, powerful call to action can direct your reader’s decision-making in your favour. Create a concise, point, Call to Action and test different versions of CTAs with your product.
AI Writer To Your Rescue!
Despite all the best practices, writing good product descriptions for so many products on your online store can become overwhelming. Instead of writing the content yourself, let our AI product description writer do most of the work for you. Writeme.ai product description writer is a great way to automate product description writing, so you can shift your focus on value addition.
How to Write Product Description FAQs
How to write a product description using a format?
There is no hard and fast rule when it comes to following a product description format. However, the ingredients of a good product description include a striking title, compelling description, some bullet points explaining product benefits and a Call to Action.
What should be included in a product description?
A product description should clearly reflect the purpose of the product, how it is useful and how the buyers will benefit from it. It shall have clear sections indicating the benefits, specifications and features of the product. It shall also include any precautions or cautions that the product buyers shall be made aware of.
How write a service or product description?
Writing a product or service description is fairly straightforward.
- You shall start by indicating the need for your product or service in your audience’s life.
- Move on to highlighting product or service features, emphasizing the benefits that the buyers will receive from the product or service.
- Remember to keep the information simple, concise and straightforward.
- Highlight your expertise, testimonials and experience.
- Finally, adopt an authoritative perspective but write in layman’s terms.
- 9+ Effective Brainstorming Techniques To Ace Every Stage of Writing Process
- What is a Brand Statement? 3 Easy Steps To Develop a Unique Brand Tagline
- 11+ Content Marketing Tools You Need For Better Growth and Engagement in 2022
- 8+ Types of Content Writing to Diversify Your Skill Set And Reach More Customers
- 11 Brand Voice Tips: Detailed Content Style Guide for Consistent Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Artificial Intelligence
- Content Marketing
- Content Writing
- Digital Marketing
- NLP (Natural Language Processing)
- Proposal Writing
- Social Media
- Writer's Block Problem