- 1) What is a Content Writing Portfolio?
- 2) How to Make a Portfolio for Content Writing – Beginner’s Tips
- 3) Importance of Keeping a Content Writing Portfolio For Freelancers
- 4) How to Create a Portfolio For Content Writing – Best Strategies
- 5) Wrapping it Up
- 6) Content Writing Portfolio FAQs
Content Writing is one of the most sought-after skills in 2022. According to a report, the global content marketing industry is expected to grow 16% annually in 2022. Such massive industry growth indicates market saturation. Thus, it means that writers need to have a solid content writing portfolio more than ever now to build their niche authority. 
If you are stuck in finding out the best ways to create a writer’s portfolio, this blog has got some great ideas for you.
What is a Content Writing Portfolio?
A content writing portfolio for any freelance or full-time writer is simply a collection of top writing samples. The work samples are organized to ensure easy browsing for any viewer, so that the portfolio can leave a good impression.
How to Make a Portfolio for Content Writing – Beginner’s Tips
For beginners who are just starting out on their writing career, here are some great tips on how to make a portfolio for content writing that converts:
- Consider Your Potential Viewers: When designing and maintaining a content writing portfolio, the first thing to keep in mind is your target audience. You must account for the type of people who will read your content and view your sample content. Thus, it means that your content writing portfolio should have proper formatting, great organization and on-spot message to convert your potential lead.
- Ensure Viewer-Friendliness: Another important thing to keep in mind is to ensure that your content writing portfolio is easy to browse-through. You can choose between a single portfolio page designed on a third party platform or you can create your own website to display your content writing portfolio.
- Highlight Skills’ Diversity: While it is true that most writers have a versatile skill set, many forget to highlight their skill’s diversity in their portfolio. If you are skilled in different writing styles for short form and long form content, mention that in your portfolio. However, keep in mind that your portfolio’s diversity shall be relevant to your target audience/niche.
Suggested Read: Why Do You Need to Organize Your Content Creation Process?
Importance of Keeping a Content Writing Portfolio For Freelancers
If you are a freelancer, a great deal of your projects will either come through referrals or the work you showcase in your content writing portfolio.
First Impression Lasts Forever
Selling your writing skills means that you need to create a long-lasting impression on your viewers so that they can convert and buy your service.
A portfolio can not only give the much-needed, long-term boost to your freelance writing career but also offer a sustainable stream of winning customers. Your content portfolio of top samples will serve in solidifying referrals, enhancing recommendations and offering a confidence boost for your customers in your service.
Professional Online Presence
A well-managed content writing portfolio helps you in establishing a professional online presence. It truly reflects the ideal combination of your personality and professional skill-set that you are willing to offer to your potential clients. Thus, when someone from a specific industry asks for specific samples, you do not have to sift through piles of previous work. Instead, you can just present a content writing portfolio to show your past work directly.
How to Create a Portfolio For Content Writing – Best Strategies
Now, comes the question of how to create a portfolio for content writing. Before getting started, remember that your content writing portfolio’s quality is mainly determined by the quality of writing samples you include in it.
Spreadsheet Your Ideas
Spreadsheet and strategy making go hand in hand when it comes to creating a content writing portfolio. A spreadsheet helps you clearly visualize your existing ideas, steps you have already taken and the steps you need to take to solidify your writing portfolio.
You can either create a simple spreadsheet showing the content ideas, writing type and the platform where the writing is located. Or you can create an extensive spreadsheet with all the due dates, shareable links, future ideas and progress plan for future.
Use Google Sheets to create an organized spreadsheet of all the published samples and upcoming ideas you have. You can easily use this sheet to track your work and it also comes in handy when you need to select very specific writing samples to show.
|Content Type||Niche||Idea||Date||Publishing Platform||Sample URL|
For your future ideas, you can create something similar to the following portfolio spreadsheet example:
|Content Type/Idea||New Target Niche||Publishing Platform|
Write And Publish Posts on Own Website
Once you are done with the strategic aspects, decide the ideal platform to publish content writing. Creating your own website and publishing your work is the easiest way to grab attention and build authority.
You can simply add a Cover Page mentioning your biography, achievements, passions, personal and professional interests, and contact details. You can then add secondary pages linking to your writing samples.
Use a free website builder to create your website. You can find tons of inspiration and free templates from popular portfolio platforms like WordPress.
Invest in Copyediting
A portfolio will hardly ever receive feedback from viewers. However, you need to consistently improve and update your content on the portfolio. Therefore, you can hire a copyeditor to give you a detailed review of your existing content writing portfolio. You may also ask the editor to make enhancements wherever needed.
Get Some Guidance
Always remember that despite being a professional, the learning process never stops. If you find yourself stuck or procrastinating , you can always ask for quick guidance from others. Moreover, you can also explain your ideas and outsource the portfolio designing work to another person. However, it is best to do it on your own with the help of some guidance. You can also follow constructive feedback from people you trust.
Publish Content on GuestPosting Sites
Simply go to Google Search and enter search queries for “Blogging”, “GuestPosting”, “Blogging + GuestPosting” or “Content Publishing” sites. This shall not only help you find suitable guest posting platforms to publish your work but also help you in finding the ideal content ideas for your target audience.
Guest Blogging offers you an advantage of targeting a refined segment of readers whereas self-publishing sites give you the well-rounded exposure that your work needs.
Use AI to Upscale Your Writing Portfolio
Diversification is necessary to introduce in your writing portfolio. It means that apart from writing blogs, you shall also practice writing other forms of content. You can also include content such as as sales copies, website copies, product descriptions to attract more viewers. Instead of building portfolio manually, you can use AI to create short form and long form content samples.
Wrapping it Up
For professional freelance and full-time writers, a portfolio is the best way to channel “show, don’t tell.” unto your viewers. It also helps in appearing as a confident, well-experienced writer who is ready to take on and deliver new challenges!
Content Writing Portfolio FAQs
How do I make a content writing portfolio?
You can create a writing portfolio by displaying your writing samples on your own website or on a guest-posting website. You can also organize your writing samples in a Google Drive to create a basic writing portfolio.
Where can I make a content portfolio?
You can use your own website or you can publish your content on publishing sites like Medium. LinkedIn and Pinterest are some of the best social platforms to create and display your content portfolio.
How many writing samples are in a portfolio?
There is no definite number. You can include at least 3-5 samples in your portfolio. You can add more if you want!
- 9+ Effective Brainstorming Techniques To Ace Every Stage of Writing Process
- What is a Brand Statement? 3 Easy Steps To Develop a Unique Brand Tagline
- 11+ Content Marketing Tools You Need For Better Growth and Engagement in 2022
- 8+ Types of Content Writing to Diversify Your Skill Set And Reach More Customers
- 11 Brand Voice Tips: Detailed Content Style Guide for Consistent Content Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Artificial Intelligence
- Content Marketing
- Content Writing
- Digital Marketing
- NLP (Natural Language Processing)
- Proposal Writing
- Social Media
- Writer's Block Problem